The Coat Check. The Box Office. The Manager’s Office. The Liquor Cage.
Chances are you know where each of these locations are in your place of work. But how many of you know where the Security Equipment Room is in your Bar/Nightclub? Chances are you have no idea where it is…because it may not even exist. Many Bars/Nightclubs/Restaurants give their Security Staff a box, or a shelf, or maybe a locker or two in which to store their equipment. In reality, it is just as important for the Security Staff to have an Equipment Room as it is for the Manager to have an office. An Equipment Room is at its bare minimum just that: an Equipment Room.
A separate room will give your Head of Security/Manager a place to hold meetings or have conversations where it is quiet and private. Any disciplinary measures or questions from Staff can be addressed away from the paying Patrons and any and all paperwork can be worked on away from the noise of the crowd. And honestly, it is nice for your Security Staff to be able to take a break from the craziness outside that doesn’t involve walking down the street to the coffee shop or sitting at the back of the Bar!
In a perfect world, your Equipment Room would contain a clock, a phone/fax, a computer (linked in to your CCTV system, scheduling, and payroll software), a filing cabinet for paperwork, a few lockers (possibly a coat rack), storage bins or shelves, and plenty of space for 2-3 individuals to prep for their shift. But we don’t live in a perfect world, so a good starting point would be some shelves and a coat rack.
Your team’s gear should also be held in this room:
- Radios, earpieces, and chargers – Plugged in and ready to go…ALWAYS. And please don’t forget extra batteries and earpieces.
- Flashlights – It still amazes me how many Security Staffers work without flashlights and how many establishments don’t have enough flashlights for their Staff. Again, extra batteries are never a bad idea.
- Paperwork and logs – Checklists, Nightly Reports, Incident Reports, Applications, Disciplinary forms. All should be kept in this room. All relevant Personnel Paperwork may be kept in the Manager’s office, but it is fine to keep it here IF it is in a locked, secure cabinet!
- First Aid Kit – There should be several in your establishment, but a large kit in this room.
- Office supplies – Pens, paper, pencils, stapler, tape, etc. You never know when you need to whip up a sign or grab an extra pen.
- I.D. Checking Guides and other relevant books
- Box of Ear Plugs/Box of Latex Gloves – For safety and hygiene.
- Spare clothing – 2-3 extra sport coats, t-shirts, or whatever your Staff need to wear for a shift. Staff may need to change out of their original clothing for any number of reasons! And there should always be extra clothing for them to wear.
There are a ton of other items that could go on the list, but these basics will get you pretty far. Your Equipment Room need not be The Bat Cave, but a Security Staff needs its own space to be able to do things without getting in the way. Keys for entry to the Equipment Room should be limited to H.O.S. and Manager for safety’s sake and remember to always lock the door when you leave.
Keep your Staff happy, and they will keep your Establishment and its Patrons safe.
Until next time….